So, my “big” purchase at the Dallas Pen Show – besides renewing our subscription to Pen World was the Baoer 79 Starwalker Tribute pen. This is a replica of the Montblanc Starwalker, which I do want someday but totally can’t afford now.
The Baoer is a decent replica. It’s not one of the lightweight, cheap plastic knockoffs. This has some heft and weight to it. It has decent balance and a good length for comfortable writing. This pen is 5.5” long capped and 6” long with the cap posted. The nib is a fine point stainless steel. The accents are solid and well-made. The cap screws on both for posting and as capped, so there’s no chance of losing that.
But there are some issues. This Baoer came with a converter, even though I was told that it would work with typical cartridges. Granted it could’ve been the cartridge, but I couldn’t get ink flowing from the cartridge to the nib. I had to use the converter. I found that awkward.
Getting the pen to work after a rest does have some skips until the ink is flowing. But once it gets going it seems to be okay, but that’s a bit annoying. To have to “prime the pump” so to speak isn’t my favorite thing. But considering it was $25 at the show (and probably can be had cheaper online), instead of the Montblanc price? I’m pretty happy with my replica.
1. How does it work? – 0.5 It’s decent. It’s not the best. It has some skips and jumps. Once it gets going it’s smooth, but it has to get going.
2. Grip and feel – 1 – This I like. It’s a solid weight. It feels like a more expensive pen. It’s pretty comfortable.
3. Material – 1 For an relatively inexpensive replica, the materials seem solid. It doesn’t FEEL cheap. The hardware is stainless steel and the resin body is strong.
4. Overall Design – 0.5 – It’s still a replica. It’s got a decent design. I’d like more flow through the nib. And though the screw tops are secure, they take some getting used to.
5. Price Point – 0.5 – Though it’s not a Montblanc, it’s still not the cheapest price point in the world. $25 for a solid replica is a decent price, but it’s still pricey for the frugal.
3.5 out of 5 Bronze Pencils