This week’s pen review is a basic, workhorse type pen with some fun little details. It’s the Zebra Sarasa Clip – in a 0.5mm point and red/black gel ink – because they’re good like that. I picked this one up on a JetPens.
The Sarasa Clip has a rich red/black gel ink. This one comes in the 0.5mm point with a metal, cone tip. This pen has an ink-matching plastic barrel and plunger with an ivory and metal clip. The barrel threading is on the inside, making the barrel smooth and ridgeless for extra comfort. The ink is smooth and doesn’t smear much. It writes quite well. The barrel is opaque so you can’t judge your ink level. But it is refillable.
This pen is about 5.5″ long retracted and about 5.75″ long with the tip extended. This is a typical length for a retractable pen, and it’s well balanced and has a decent diameter. This has a color-matched rubberized grip to give the pen some ergonomics as well as a “seemless” look and feel. The clip is sturdy and strong even though it’s plastic with metal mechanisms.
The clip is the other fun detail. They call it a “binder clip”. It’s a spring-loaded, hard plastic clip matching the ink color. It is break-resistant and strong. It does secure well to a wide range of materials. This pen is refillable and economical for a good quality workhorse pen.
1. How does it work? – 1 – This is a solid, utility pen. It’s inexpensive. It comes several shaded colors like the red/black.
2. Look and feel – 1 – It’s average length with a good diameter. The fun colors give a lot of options for something beyond red, blue, black, and green.
3. Material – 1 – It’s an inexpensive utility pen. It is what it is, and it’s solid for what it is. The clip is metal and plastic and strong.
4. Overall Design – 1 – It’s okay. It’s functional. It’s an average length retractable pen with some fun details.
5. Price Point – 0.5 – These things are relatively inexpensive – though have to be ordered through JetPens. They’re about $1.75 for the pen. So you can pretty much use these for the long term. There are refills available.
4.5 out of 5 bronze pencils.