I just found out an author near and dear to me is going into hospice because of cancer after losing his lovely wife to a different varietal of this stupid disease. So this post is about the anthology project I’m editing. I have three stories so far for the anthology – one is a very short story I wrote for another cancer survivor friend. The other two are from amazing horror writers (one a multiple award winner/best seller) both came with the subject line “Cancer Can Suck It”. I’m tempted to use that for the title of the anthology. Because this disease can do just that.
To that end… if you want to submit… The only thing I ask is that if you share these, share them personally and not on the wide, wide, web. I’d rather not see these on an open board like Open Call.
Cancer Can Suck It Guidelines:
What we’re looking for – short stories, essays, and/or artwork. We mostly come from a shared Science Fiction/Pop Culture background – but your story or art can be in any genre – just please no fan fiction or fan art. Original work only.
REPRINTS will be accepted – just let us know where it originally ran.
This will be a non-exclusive First Serial Rights.
DEADLINE: December 31, 2017
• Word length – 5,000 words MAXIMUM
• Minimum 12 point font in a standard font like Times New Roman, Courier New, or Arial
• 1 – 1.5″ margins all around, DOUBLE SPACED
• Any genre is fine – but keep it PG/PG-13 if at all possible – no explicit sex or violence, please. It can be sad, silly, light or dark – or any combination.
• Email submissions in .DOC, .DOCX, or .RTF format to email@example.com
• Work that evokes an emotion
• Work that captures a moment in time
• Character and mood
• Unusual approaches to figure, line, and color
• Line art/black and white
No, thank you:
• Gratuitous sexualization
• Common SF tropes like shiny distant cities with huge planets behind them
• Stereotyping, fetishization, or objectification of people
• Email submissions attached as .png or .jpg, not more than 1000×1000 pixels to firstname.lastname@example.org
Any questions, contact Rhonda Eudaly at email@example.com.