I don’t always go for the useful pens. Sometimes (especially when it comes to Christmas Stocking Stuffers or other random occasions) I go for pens that are just fun/silly/etc. Let’s face it, that’s most of the time. This one was an impulse holiday sale. Jimmy picked it up for me to put in the stocking because of all the feels. It’s a pen from Funko Pop! And it’s a tiny vinyl Barb from Stranger Things on a pen.
This is a novelty pen, so the expectations are not high with pens like this. This one is top heavy, obviously, because Barb stands on top. BARB! It’s just over 6.5” long. The cap can’t post, and it’s a narrow barrel – black with the red Stranger Things logo. It’s not a pen for long-term writing unless you have a small hand.
The surprising part is the smoothness of the black ballpoint ink. The conical tip is smooth. There’s some ink glopping but not bad. It’s probably close to a 1.0mm, but it’s hard to tell.
The selling point is the Barb figure. I identify with Barb so much. I’ve mentioned (except for the pink) that if you wanted to know what I looked like in the 80s? Check out Barb. Kinda want to know what I was like? Check out Barb (except for the eaten by the Upside Down – that wasn’t me). The glasses. The hair. The Trapper Keeper. The awkward and overweight but wants to protect her friend? Totally me at that age and decade.
So I HAD to have this pen. I love this pen. It was on sale when we bought it at BoxLunch – kinda like Hot Topic (they may have been there, too). So I don’t think it was too expensive – maybe $2.00 or $2.50. Hot Topic has the other cast for almost $5… which I know I didn’t pay. So find them cheaper if you can.
1. How does it work? – 1 It’s works fine, solid ink flow and a decent tip. The cute/identifying aspects are just a bonus.
2. Grip and feel – 0.5 – There’s a nod to ergonomics, but it’s long and not well-balanced
3. Material – 1 It’s a cheesy plastic novelty pen. You get what you pay for.
4. Overall Design – 0.5 – The cap doesn’t post – in fact the cap is probably superfluous. It’s long, oddly balanced, but so much fun you can’t quite NOT use it.
5. Price Point – 1 – It’s not outrageous. It’s $2 ish at Box Lunch on sale. But if I’d had to spend more, I totally would’ve $2 is a good price.