I try to give equal time to pens. This is another Pilot Precise V5 RT (retractable) This is the Deco Collection in assorted colors . I don’t remember spending a whole lot for them, so don’t judge the MSRP too harshly.
This pen has a solid feeling point for the heavy-handed writers. This is a 0.5mm – hence the V5 – but it’s still a decent point. I’ve come around on the needle point fear. They’ve been a lot sturdier than I ever remember them being in the past. I bought the four pack – red, blue, green, and black. Some packages come with a purple as well.
The pen is about 5.5″ long and has a decent retraction mechanism. It’s light but well-balanced. The ink is richly pigmented and flows well from the tip. The lines are smooth and the ink dries quickly on paper with minimal smearing. The barrel has “art deco” patterning that matches and corresponds to the ink color and a matching rubber grip with a nod to ergonomics.
This is a good workhorse pen that has a price point, so if it’s stolen off a desk, it’s no big loss. It’s refillable so you can use them a good long time.
1. How does it work? – 1 – This is a solid working pen. The ink is well-pigmented. The point is relatively solid for a needle point.
2. Look and feel – 1 – It’s a basic retractable pen. There’s a nod to ergonomics. The clip is metal, so that’s solid.
3. Material – 1 – It’s recycled plastic with a metal clip. It is what it is. The decorations are cute, though.
4. Overall Design – 1 – It’s functional. It’s an average length stick pen with a decent point and ink. It’s refillable and eco-friendly
5. Price Point – 0.5 – This pen is refillable. The five packs on line are a bit pricy to look at. I don’t remember what I paid for the four-pack, but I had to have gotten them on sale. Perhaps if you refill them, that helps keep the cots down.